Course sessions start at 9:15am and end at 5:00pm
Highfield Level 4 Award in Food Safety in Catering (RQF)
13th January - 17th January
One event on 13th January 2020 at 12:00am
This qualification is aimed at managers working in a food or drink catering environment. The qualification is intended for learners already working in catering, or those who are preparing to work in the industry, and whose job requires them to have some responsibility for food safety. Learners are likely to have management responsibilities for an operational team.
Overview and Benefits
This qualification covers the subject of food hygiene at a suitable depth to ensure learners have a thorough knowledge of hazards and controls; its focus is on the importance of developing, implementing and monitoring food safety procedures. Its topics are regarded by the Foods Standards Agency as being important to maintaining good practice in the production of safe food.
The course topics will include:
- Food Safety Legislation and Enforcement;
- The role of the manager in securing food safety within their business;
- Development, implementation, monitoring, reviewing and evaluating the implementation of food management procedures based on HACCP principles;
- Pest management;
- Cleaning and disinfection;
- Design and construction of food premises and equipment;
- Food hazards and controls from purchase to service;
- Training and education;
- Food handlers and their personal hygiene;
- Food borne illnesses;
- Microbiology, food safety and contamination.
This qualification will enable successful candidates to:
- Understand how food business operators can ensure compliance with food safety legislation;
- Design, layout, construct and maintain premises and equipment to ensure food safety;
- Deliver the operational requirements including the implementation, management and application of good hygiene practices to ensure food safety;
- Develop food safety management procedures;
- Deliver the controls required across their business to ensure food safety including reviewing controls for microbial, physical, chemical and allergenic hazards;
- Understand how to maintain food safety management procedures on an ongoing basis including outlining strategies for maintaining a food safety culture within their own organisation.
Awarding Body: Highfield
Course Duration: 40 hours guided learning (5 days)
Assessment: This qualification is assessed through a 2-part examination.
- Part one is a 30-question multiple-choice examination.
- Part two is a written examination where learners choose 4 from 6 questions. The total mark available in this section is 70 marks.
Successful learners must achieve a total of at least 60 marks out of 100 across the two parts of the exam. A Merit will be awarded at 70/100 and a Distinction will be awarded at 80/100.
The duration of the examination is 2 ½ hours
Prerequisite: Level 3 Award in Food Safety in Catering or Equivalent.
Refreshment of this course is recommended every 3 years